Five days of workshops, lectures and events culminated on Monday, June 20 in a celebratory party that lasted far into the bright night of Tampere, Finland. Over 800 people from all parts of the world made their way to this northern industrial town for Glass Performance Days (GPD), the largest international conference on architectural glass. GPD represents an independent forum dedicated to the development of the global glass industry, and is held biennially. Conference activities include the publication and sale of conference proceedings, and an open web portal, www.glassfiles.com, where the technical information amassed from conferences over the years is made freely accessible to all.
Enclos sent staff to GPD for the first time in 2009. The experience was rewarding enough that an even larger delegation attended the 2011 edition in Finland. All told, five papers authored by Enclos personnel were accepted and presented at the conference, in addition to a daylong workshop on structural glass facades.
Published papers by Enclos staff include:
- CFD Modeling of Wind-Driven Convection Heat Transfer in Framed Cavities of Glazed Wall Systems by Daniel Bettenhausen
- Decoupled Sequential Single Degree of Freedom Analysis by James Casper
- Is Glass Green? Dimensions of Sustainable Transparency and the Future of Glass in the Building Skin by Mic Patterson
- Reflections on Glass: Attributes of Performance and Appearance by Mic Patterson
- Structural Response of Multi-Story Double-Skin Facades by Jeffrey Vaglio
* Copies of Enclos’ published papers are available upon request *
Mic Patterson, director of strategic communications at Enclos and a conference attendee, had the following to say:
“Although I have used and valued Glassfiles for years, and purchased prior conference proceedings, this was my first participation in the conference itself. I found it remarkable in many respects. The facilities are great, and the conference was very well organized. The range of topics is broad, and the level of content is quite high, often stimulating and sometimes even inspirational. The networking opportunities are unparalleled, and the conference organizers work hard to facilitate a unique and effective networking environment. The Architect's Forum was of a particularly high caliber, as were other facade related programs.”
Congratulations to the GPD team for a highly successful 2011 conference. We at Enclos highly recommend this event, and encourage more of our North American colleagues to participate and make the journey to Finland in 2013.
© enclos corp 2019