Project

Images

Olive View - UCLA Medical Center

Sylmar, CA

Close Up

  • Owner/Developer

    Los Angeles County

  • Architect

    Charles Luckman Associates

  • Engineer

    Newberg-Brinderson

  • Completion

    1987

  • Building Type

    Healthcare

  • Fa├žade Area

    Design/build custom unitized curtainwall system with operable windows

  • Glass

    1 inch insulated units with blue mirror coating

Systems

Processes

Detail

This Southern California facility is one of the San Fernando Valley's oldest hospitals, originally created to treat the overpopulated tuberculosis facilities of County General Hospital in 1920. A new hospital was completed in December of 1970, only to be destroyed less than two months later from structural failures during the 1971 San Fernando Earthquake. The medical center served patients through an interim facility for the next sixteen years. Olive View currently operates as an acute care center for the surrounding community, and home to part of the UCLA Medical School’s training program in Los Angeles.

The rebuilt medical center was opened in 1987 with a 377 bed state-of-the-art facility. The joint venture of Olive View and UCLA became official in 1992, when the facility became the Olive View - UCLA Medical Center. The facility houses eight internal medicine wards, and is a primary training site for UCLA’s residency programs.

The Enclos design and engineering team worked closely with legendary architect Charles Luckman in developing a state of the art curtainwall design for the facility. The custom system incorporated operable windows and was manufactured in an Enclos facility and shipped to the site, where the firm’s site operations group installed the prefabricated curtainwall units.