Project

Images

NGA Campus East

Fort Belvoir, VA

Close Up

  • Owner/Developer

    U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

  • Architect

    Kling Stubbins
    RTKL Associates

  • GC

    Balfour Beatty
    Clark Construction Group

  • Completion

    2011

  • Building Type

    Government

  • LEED Rating

    Gold certified

  • Program

    2,400,000 sqft

  • Façade Area

    Custom designed precast concrete with punched windows and glass curtainwall systems

  • Glass

    Heat reflecting low-E glass

Systems

Processes

Awards

  • Alliant Build America Award for New Construction, AGC of America, 2012
  • Best Government/Public Building Project, ENR Southeast, 2012

Detail

The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) consolidated its eastern facilities to the Campus East complex in 2011 at Springfield, Virginia's Engineer Proving Ground of Fort Belvoir. The campus houses 8,500 NGA employees and contractors that were previously located at seven different sites throughout the Washington, D.C. area. Their new headuarters is the largest military construction project undertaken by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers since the Pentagon in 1943.

The campus consists of two eight-story buildings joined by a 500-foot long x 120-foot wide glass atrium. Enclos provided comprehensive design/build services for the project's wall systems, which include precast panels with punched windows and unitized glass curtainwall at corner locations of the main building. The main structure includes 1,707 trapezoidal glass windows. Both building's interior corridors feature glass walls that disperse natural daylight from the atrium into otherwise traditionally dark interior spaces.

The Washington Building Congress awarded Enclos the 2011 Craftsmanship Award for Curtain Walls for the firm's work on the NGA Campus East complex.